Boy Scouts collect food for local pantries
MT. VERNON — This year's Scouting for Food effort in Mt. Vernon has collected more than 2,800 nonperishable food items for local pantries in need.Continued ...
RLC promotes recycling with scavenger hunt
MT. VERNON — For Rend Lake College student Bresley Kerans, taking part in Friday's Sustainability Scavenger Hunt at the local Walmart proved to be an eye-opening experience.Continued ...
Independent Silver Band holds concert
The Independent Silver Band held a special free concert Thursday night at the First United Methodist Church in Mt. Vernon. The show featured Master Sgt. Jay Niepoetter, a clarinetist with “The President's Own” United States Marine Band. The Independent Silver Band performs throughout the region. It replicates the sound and look of the original ISB group, which existed in Mt. Vernon between 1884 and 1889.Continued ...
DMDC Street Scape
Construction workers of DePew and Owens, based in Centralia, work on the 200 block of South Ninth Street. The work is part of the city's Street Scape project. Workers recently completed the east side of the street, with the project extending from Harrison Street to Jordan Avenue.Continued ...
- Summit offers hope to parolees
- Veteran's Day salute
- Foundation honors three alumni
- United Way salutes The Amy Center
- Ribbon cutting held for Casey expansion
- November proclaimed Adoption Month
- Boy Scouts collect food for local pantries
Christmas Parade to light up town
MT. VERNON -- Downtown will be lit with a "Star-Spangled Christmas" for the Christmas parade on Saturday. According to parade organizer John Scrivner, the theme was chosen in honor of the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. He expects the floaContinued ...
- Grinch to visit the Granada
- Six sheriff candidates in primary
- Operation Love offers hot meals
- Christmas Parade to light up town
Bernice Mae Hunt, 99 years and one month, of Mt. Vernon, died 9:30 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 28, 2013, at Residential Living Center in Mt. Vernon. She was born Wednesday, Oct. 28, 1914, in Wayne City, the daughter of Orval "Si" and Cetta (Stroud) Green. ShContinued ...
- Art Barnard
- Mark Whisenhunt
- Dannie McKinney
- Hazel Shoemaker
- Bernice Hunt
VIDEO: World's oldest animal, 507-year-old clam, discovered and killed
Researchers at Bangor University accidentally killed the world's oldest creature, Ming, a deep ocean clam believed to be 507 years old when they were trying to figure out how old it was.Continued ...
- What it's like to have your food stamps cut?
- VIDEO: Smithsonian makes 3D imaging push
- Flood insurance changes may swamp homeowners
- VIDEO: World's oldest animal, 507-year-old clam, discovered and killed