MT. VERNON — —
New construction in December — bolstered by a $9.2 million project at Walgreens Distribution Center — resulted in $9.5 million in commercial construction for the city of Mt. Vernon.
The city finished the year with $61.5 million in projects, which is a decrease of $32 million from year ago figures. However, of the nearly $94 million in projects during 2011, $42 million came from an expansion at Continental Tire the Americas.
The Walgreens project, at 5100 Lake Terrace Northeast, is for the restructure on an interior equipment building, according to the permit issued by the city on Dec. 7.
Two projects on Good Samaritan Regional Health Center property also helped boost December’s totals. A $190,000 project to erect an improvement at the Sleep & Neurology Center of Southern Illinois, LLC, was permitted on Dec. 7 and Southern Illinois Anesthesiology will construct a buildout interior at an estimated cost of $125,000.
Other commercial projects issued for December are:
- National Railway, 1100 Shawnee St., for a building addition, at an estimated cost of $52,000;
- AS Fabricating Inc., 5518 N. Illinois 37, for an addition to an existing structure, at an estimated cost of $7,961.80;
- Tyler Toyota, 100-300 S. 45th St., to erect a sign with no estimated cost listed;
- City of Mt. Vernon Fire Department, 1100 Main St., to erect a sign with no estimated cost listed;
- T. Ham Signs for Creative Hair, 2026 Broadway, to erect a sign at an estimated cost of $900;
- T. Ham Signs for Davita Dialysis, 4102 Water Tower Place, to erect a sign at an estimated cost of $950;
- T. Ham Signs for Crossroads Community Hospital, 8 Doctor’s Park Plaza, to erect a sign at an estimated cost of $2,775; and
- T. Ham Signs for National Railway Equipment Co., 1101 Broadway, at an estimated cost of $3,000.
Only two residential building project permits were issued in December. They are:
- Ulysses Morgan, 2308 Benton Rd., for an alteration of height of an existing carport, at an estimated cost of $250; and
- Donald Linville, 2618 Benton Rd., for a portable building, at an estimated cost of $500.
The following demolition permit was issued in December:
- M.R. Rainey, 1807 Casey Ave., to demolish a house.