Mt. Vernon Register-News


November 22, 2013

Bonnie woman loses home in fire

BONNIE — Bonnie resident Pamela Bain lost her home and several pets Wednesday in a major structure fire in the 6100 block of North Reardon Lane.

Bain herself was not seriously injured, but her residence was a total loss. She is now staying in a trailer, also located on her Reardon Lane property.

The fire consumed Bain's small home quickly and the structure was already destroyed by the time firefighters came on scene.

Bain was able to escape the residence, but lost one dog and about five cats in the blaze. There were no other people living at the home.

“I woke up and there was this fire on top of the ceiling, down the side of the wall, all the way around me,” Bain said. “I jumped up and I said, 'come on, guys, let's get out of here.' I grabbed my purse and (went) out the door.”

The Jefferson Fire Protection District received the fire call at 4:35 p.m. and arrived on scene at 4:47 p.m.

By that time, Bain's primary house was no longer standing. However, there was also a trailer and a storage shed on the property that were on fire when rescuers arrived. These structures were mostly destroyed.

The trailer where Bain is now staying is about 50 feet away from the fire site and was not damaged by the blaze.

“When we arrived on scene, the structure that she was living in was already gone,” said Capt. Conan King of the JFPD. “There were a couple wall studs standing, that was it.”

Firefighters had the blaze under control by about 5:20 p.m. and had cleared the scene by 7:06 p.m.

The JFPD received mutual aid assistance from Webber Fire Protection District and the Waltonville Fire Department. In total, there were about 25 firemen on scene, King said.

Text Only

Local Photo