Mt. Vernon Register-News

Local

May 15, 2014

Bidders approved for bridge projects

MT. VERNON — Dees Construction, based in West Frankfort, submitted low bids for three bridge projects in Jefferson County.

According to information submitted by Highway Engineer Brandon Simmons, the company was the low bidder on the Log Cabin Lane, Falcon Lane and Program Lane bridge projects.

The Program Lane bridge project was awarded at Wednesday’s Highway Committee meeting. The estimated project cost is $124,575, approximately 17 percent above the engineer’s estimate.

The estimated cost of the Log Cabin Lane bridge project is $281,625; and the estimated cost of the Falcon Lane bridge is $189,321.

Simmons also announced Microsurfacing Inc. provided the low bid for the DuBois Road pavement preservation project with a bid of $206,325 submitted.

Simmons said the Panzier Lane bridge letting is scheduled for Aug. 1. Committee members asked if the bridge would be ready by the end of the year.

“We should have some big contractors bidding on that project,” Simmons said. “I don’t anticipate it will be ready by the harvest season, but it should be done by the end of the year.”

Member Randy Edwards said as a result of the closing of that bridge — which collapsed in September — the ancillary township roads in the area are taking a beating.

“Those township roads are in bad shape,” Edwards noted.

The committee took no action on a recommended news release drafted by County Chairman Robert White, outlining the role of the county’s use of motor fuel tax funds. Simmons asked to review the document before it is released to media members.

IN OTHER BUSINESS:

n The monthly fuel bid submitted by SynEnergy was accepted, pending full board approval. The bids were $3.0888 for diesel and $2.9890 for gasohol.

n Preliminary engineering agreements for Tolle Lane and Campground Lane bridge projects were approved. E. Miller Engineering, based in Harrisburg, will do the work on both projects. Simmons estimated both projects to cost about $160,000, with 80 percent of the projects being paid out of the township bridge funds and the remaining 20 percent from local township funds. The Tolle Lane bridge is in Field Township; the Campground Lane bridge in Mt. Vernon Township.

n The committee will recommend to the full board to vacate a roadway in the Gale Poston subdivision, running north and south between lots 13 and 14, at the advice of the state’s attorney’s office.

1
Text Only
Local

Local Photo