---- — Judge may dismiss antitust lawsuit
HARRISBURG, Pa. — A federal judge says she’ll decide in the next few weeks whether to dismiss Gov. Tom Corbett’s antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA over penalties against Penn State.
U.S. Judge Yvette Kane had questions for both sides during a nearly two-hour hearing.
Corbett says the NCAA went too far in getting Penn State to agree last summer to a $60 million fine, a multiyear ban on postseason football play and a temporary reduction in scholarships.
The university agreed to the sanctions over its handling of the child molestation scandal involving former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky. Penn State isn’t a party to the lawsuit.
Tournament raises money for Sandy
NEW YORK — Yankees pitcher David Robertson and Mets first baseman Ike Davis will help host a Long Island golf tournament to raise money for victims of Superstorm Sandy.
It will be held July 17 at Bethpage Black in Farmingdale, the course for the 2002 and 2009 U.S. Open. The tournament is scheduled for the day after the All-Star game at Citi Field in New York.
Also taking part will be former major leaguers Ken Griffey Jr., Bobby Bonilla, Aaron Boone, Ron Darling, Al Leiter and Jeff Nelson.
The tournament is sponsored by the charitable foundation of the player’s union. The foundation has contributed more than $175,000 to organizations providing assistance to storm victims.
out of context
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams denies ever contemplating suicide, and says private comments he made in text messages are being taken out of context by his ex-fiancee in a lawsuit over the possession of a $785,000 diamond engagement ring.
Calling himself “completely fine,” Williams says he was “venting” his feelings to someone he thought he trusted. Williams spoke after practice, in his first chance to respond since Erin Marzouki’s attorney released a series of texts the two exchanged in November. The texts portray Williams as being despondent over their breakup.
Williams says the decision to release the texts reveal Marzouki’s true character.
BOSTON (AP) — Fewer than 4 percent of youth players surveyed in a USA Football-sanctioned study suffered concussions in the 10 leagues examined.
Most injuries among nearly 2,000 players on more than 100 teams in six states were minor, with the youngsters returning to play the same day. More than 90 percent did not suffer any injuries, and of those who did, the most common were contusions (35 percent) and ligament sprains (15 percent).
No catastrophic head, neck or heat-related injuries were reported.
Indianapolis-based Datalys Center for Sports Injury Research and Prevention conducted the study in Arizona, Indiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, South Carolina and West Virginia.
DUBLIN, Ohio (AP) — Guan Tianlang, the 14-year-old Chinese amateur who made history at Augusta National, is bringing his game to Jack Nicklaus’ backyard.
Guan, who last month became the youngest player to make the cut in a major championship when he finished 58th at the Masters, has accepted an exemption to play at the Memorial Tournament next week.
Guan also made the cut at the PGA Tour stop in New Orleans but missed weekend play at last week’s Byron Nelson.
Nicklaus, founder and host of the Memorial, met with Guan’s parents at the Masters and had hoped the young phenom might play at Muirfield Village May 30-June 2.
SEATTLE (AP) — Chris Hansen is not giving up his pursuit of bringing the NBA back to Seattle.
Hansen released a statement on his SonicsArena.com website, congratulating Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson on his efforts to keep the Kings in California, while also vowing to continue his effort to bring the NBA back to the Emerald City.
Hansen’s statement came less than a week after his attempt to purchase the Kings and move them to Seattle were denied by the NBA Board of Governors in Dallas. The league’s owners voted 22-8 to deny the move of the franchise to Seattle and the Maloof family struck a deal with lead Sacramento investor Vivek Ranadive a day later to sell the Kings and keep them in Sacramento.
MADRID (AP) — Jose Mourinho will leave Real Madrid after three years as coach, paving the path for his return to England and a second stint as Chelsea’s manager.
Real Madrid President Florentino Perez announced at a news conference following a board meeting that a mutual agreement was reached for Mourinho’s departure.
The 50-year-old Portuguese coach has two matches remaining in a season that will end June 1 without Madrid winning a major trophy.
Mourinho will leave having won only two major titles, the 2011 Copa del Rey and the 2012 league championship, and he failed to deliver the club’s much-desired 10th European Cup.