Mt. Vernon Register-News

December 29, 2012

Opdyke Street fire

TESA GLASS/REGISTER-NEWS
tesa.glass@register-news.com

MT. VERNON — Minor smoke and fire damage were reported as a result of a flue fire at 211 Opdyke Street on Friday morning. According to Mt. Vernon Fire Department Capt. John Griffin, the department received the call at 9:22 a.m. Friday morning. Griffin said the fire started around the pipe going through the ceiling from a wood burning stove, and firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading further. The family was home at the time of the fire and quickly called 9-1-1. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.