MT. VERNON —
- Should a fire occur, parents and children should have a designated meeting place should they be separated;
- Calling 911 should only be done in an emergency for one of three things - fire, police or an ambulance;
- “Always assume that it’s hot until you know that it’s not,” in regards to touching items such a grill or a closed door, or getting close to a fire pit or other items that may retain the heat without the fire;
- If trapped in a room and escape by window is not possible because it is too small, etc., make sure to stand by the window, wave your hands and yell for help; and
- When a smoke detector sounds, get up and get out. Do not attempt to locate the source of whatever is causing the detector to sound a warning.