Mt. Vernon Register-News

December 12, 2013

Gas leak resolved at First United Methodist Church

12th Street is now open again


The Register-News

MT. VERNON — The Mt. Vernon Fire Department confirmed Thursday morning the gas leak situation at First United Methodist Church has been resolved.

On Wednesday afternoon, the fire department barricaded a portion of 12th Street at the church due to a gas leak. The leak was caused by snow and ice falling from the church's roof and striking a gas meter.

The leak was reported at around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and the street was still barricaded at 7:30 p.m. that evening. Fire officials re-opened the street later on Wednesday night.

No injuries occurred as a result of the leak.