Former Mt. Vernon resident, Rita Mary Compton, 92, passed away peacefully April 17, 2013, at Good Samaritan Society Scandia Village Skilled Care Center, Sister Bay, Wis.She was born Nov. 18, 1920, in Appleton, Wis., to George and Lucy (Esdepsky) Laux. She grew up in Menasha, Wis., the eldest of seven children. On Sept. 20, 1943, she married Charles (Bus) Compton, the southern Illinois sailor she met at a USO dance in Milwaukee. They resided in Mt. Vernon, her husband's hometown. She worked as a bookkeeper, retiring from General Motors Acceptance Corp.Charles, a retired Mt. Vernon fireman, died in 1980. In 1984, Rita moved to Milwaukee to be near her family. In 2003, she relocated to an apartment in Scandia Village, following the move her daughter and son-in-law, Mary Beth and Frank Dale Murphy, made a few years earlier to Ellison Bay. For the past 3.5 years, Rita has been a resident in the skilled care center.Rita was an accomplished embroiderer, both needlepoint and cross-stitch. She was a member of Stella Maris Catholic Church, Sister Bay. In Mt. Vernon, she was a parishioner at St. Mary's Catholic Church.In addition to Mary Beth, now of Egg Harbor, survivors include two grandchildren, Shannon (Joseph) Haberli, Egg Harbor and Sean (Crystal) Murphy, Columbus, Ga.; three great-grandchildren, Shayna and Joey Haberli, Egg Harbor and Jackson Angel White, Columbus; a brother; and two sisters. In addition to her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by a great-grandson, Drew Murphy; son-in-law, Dale Murphy; three brothers; two sisters-in-law; and her father-in-law and mother-in-law, Guy and Mary Compton.A mass of Christian burial was held April 22, 2013, at Stella Maris Catholic Church. Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at St Mary's Catholic Cemetery in Mt. Vernon with Father Dale Maxfield officiating. The family is asking that any memorial donations be given to Good Samaritan Society Scandia Village Building Fund, 10560 Applewood Rd., Sister Bay, WI 54234-9051. Condolences may be offered at www.caspersonfuneralhome.com.Local arrangements are in the care of Hughey Funeral Home where you may call 242-3348 or visit www.hugheyfuneralhome1969.com for further information and to send condolences.
Verla J. Richardson, 64, of McLeansboro, died at 8:15 p.m. Saturday, July 26 at Deaconess Hospital in Evansville, Ind.
Ethel Louise Hardig, 55, of Mt. Vernon, died at 4:48 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at her home.
- Burrell "Gene" Davis Burrell Eugene “Gene” Davis, 86, of Mt. Vernon, died at 6 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor in Mt. Vernon.Mr. Davis was a retired Illinois Bell Telephone employee for forty years, ending his career as the state safety direct
- Rodney Lipe Rodney James Lipe, 76, of Mt. Vernon, died 2:40 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor in Mt. Vernon. He was born Friday, April 29, 1938, in Jacksonville, the son of James A. and Ida Mae Lipe.Rodney worked as a laborer in area oi
- Marshall Cross, Jr. Marshall Marion Cross, Jr., 74, of Belle Rive, went to be with Jesus at 3:35 p.m. Thursday, July 24, 2014, at his home in Belle Rive.He was born Friday, Sept. 15, 1939, in Mt. Vernon, the son of Marshall Marion Cross, Sr. and Lena A. (Sneed) Cross. H
- Donna Dammrich Donna Marie Dammrich, of Potosi, Mo., departed this life on July 19, 2014, having reached the age of fifty three years, five months and three days.She was born on Feb. 16, 1961, in Honolulu, a daughter to Elmo Kebodeaux and the late Marlys Daley Kebo
- Karen Kirk Karen L. Kirk, 59, of Mt. Vernon, died 2:32 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Good Samaritan Regional Health Center in Mt. Vernon. She was born Sunday, Sept. 12, 1954, in Granite City, the daughter of Maxie Millan and Beulah Fern (Shell) Sanders. She
- W. Gregg Goodman W. Gregg Goodman, age 63, of Swansea, formerly of Mt. Vernon, passed away on Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Belleville.He was born July 11, 1951, to P. William (Bill) and Patricia (Bragg) Goodman in Carbondale.Gregg was the Co
- Harvey Lovin Harvey Lovin, 97, of Mt. Vernon, passed away at his home on Tuesday, July 22, 2014.He was born in Opdyke, on Dec. 10, 1916, the son of Henry C. and Emma Gifford Lovin.He lived in St. Louis and in Bluford before serving in the Army as a staff sergeant
- Pauline Bohlen Pauline G. Bohlen, 93, of Mt. Vernon, passed away on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at 2:30 a.m. in Mt. Vernon.Pauline was born May 20, 1921, in Burlington, Iowa. After graduating from Burlington High School, Pauline was a waitress and a telephone operato
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Verla Richardson