Chester Hill, 79, of Mt. Vernon, died 1:50 a.m. Thursday, June 20, 2013, at John Cochrun Hospital in St. Louis. He was born Monday, June 26, 1933, in Mt. Vernon, the son of Wiley Bird and Helen (Simmons) Hill. He married Carol Wilson on Aug. 13, 1955, at Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in Mt. Vernon. Chester served our country in the United States Army as a military police and security officer and served overseas in the Korean Conflict. He started working at a stove foundry and later at General Radiator, but retired from a job at the Grain Elevator in Bluford. Chester was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1376, the American Legion Post 2910 and Clearview Baptist Church. He is survived by his wife, Carol Hill of Mt. Vernon; three sons, Tom Hill and wife Paula of Mt. Vernon, Doug Hill and wife Nancy of Mt. Vernon and Dean Hill and wife Becky of Opdyke; two daughters, Kathy Myers and husband John of Texico and Linda Ross and husband Scott of Woodlawm; 13 grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; sister-in-law, Wanda Hill of Elwood; special family friend, Myra Warner of Bluford; five nephews; and one niece. He was preceded in death by his parents; twin brother, Lester Hill; and one nephew, Michael Hill. Funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Monday at Hughey Funeral Home in Mt. Vernon with Brother Mike Johnson officiating. Interment will be at East Salem Cemetery in Jefferson County. Members of the American Legion Post 141 will conduct full military honors at the cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. Sunday at Hughey Funeral Home in Mt. Vernon. For those who wish, memorials may be given to the Fisher House in St. Louis and will be accepted at the funeral home or mailed to Hughey Funeral Home, P.O. Box 721, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864. Arrangements have been entrusted to the care of Hughey Funeral Home where you may call 242-3348 or visit www.hugheyfuneralhome1969.com for further information and to send condolences.
Verla J. Richardson, 64, of McLeansboro, died at 8:15 p.m. Saturday, July 26 at Deaconess Hospital in Evansville, Ind.
Ethel Louise Hardig, 55, of Mt. Vernon, died at 4:48 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at her home.
- Burrell "Gene" Davis Burrell Eugene “Gene” Davis, 86, of Mt. Vernon, died at 6 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor in Mt. Vernon.Mr. Davis was a retired Illinois Bell Telephone employee for forty years, ending his career as the state safety direct
- Rodney Lipe Rodney James Lipe, 76, of Mt. Vernon, died 2:40 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor in Mt. Vernon. He was born Friday, April 29, 1938, in Jacksonville, the son of James A. and Ida Mae Lipe.Rodney worked as a laborer in area oi
- Marshall Cross, Jr. Marshall Marion Cross, Jr., 74, of Belle Rive, went to be with Jesus at 3:35 p.m. Thursday, July 24, 2014, at his home in Belle Rive.He was born Friday, Sept. 15, 1939, in Mt. Vernon, the son of Marshall Marion Cross, Sr. and Lena A. (Sneed) Cross. H
- Donna Dammrich Donna Marie Dammrich, of Potosi, Mo., departed this life on July 19, 2014, having reached the age of fifty three years, five months and three days.She was born on Feb. 16, 1961, in Honolulu, a daughter to Elmo Kebodeaux and the late Marlys Daley Kebo
- Karen Kirk Karen L. Kirk, 59, of Mt. Vernon, died 2:32 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Good Samaritan Regional Health Center in Mt. Vernon. She was born Sunday, Sept. 12, 1954, in Granite City, the daughter of Maxie Millan and Beulah Fern (Shell) Sanders. She
- W. Gregg Goodman W. Gregg Goodman, age 63, of Swansea, formerly of Mt. Vernon, passed away on Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Belleville.He was born July 11, 1951, to P. William (Bill) and Patricia (Bragg) Goodman in Carbondale.Gregg was the Co
- Harvey Lovin Harvey Lovin, 97, of Mt. Vernon, passed away at his home on Tuesday, July 22, 2014.He was born in Opdyke, on Dec. 10, 1916, the son of Henry C. and Emma Gifford Lovin.He lived in St. Louis and in Bluford before serving in the Army as a staff sergeant
- Pauline Bohlen Pauline G. Bohlen, 93, of Mt. Vernon, passed away on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at 2:30 a.m. in Mt. Vernon.Pauline was born May 20, 1921, in Burlington, Iowa. After graduating from Burlington High School, Pauline was a waitress and a telephone operato
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Verla Richardson