Mt. Vernon Register-News

November 15, 2013

Morris Sanders


The Register-News

---- — Morris Dale Sanders, 98, died Wednesday, Nov.13, 2013, at Paris Regional Medical Center, Paris, Texas.

Mr. Sanders, formerly of McLeansboro, was born Oct. 10, 1915, in Gallatin County. He was the son of Vernon and Eathel Holland Sanders.

He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Lane, Lawrence, and Ralph and grandson, Shane Dale Sanders.

Survivors are his wife of 72 years, Anne James Sanders; son, James Dale Sanders and wife Nancy; daughter, Jane Anne Sanders Wikoff and husband Don; granddaughters, Lee Anne Caruso and husband, Rich, and Elizabeth Anne Bray and husband, Josh; great- granddaughters, Tori, Shayna and Anniston were blessed to know their great- granddad.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Sunday at Harre Funeral Home in McLeansboro with the Rev. Bill Reed officiating. Graveside military rites at the I.O.O.F. Cemetery in McLeansboro will be accorded by American Legion Post 106 and a military honors team from Marion.

Visitation will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.

Mr. Sanders considered it an honor to serve his country during WWII. He served in the 95th Infantry Division, Patton’s Third Army in the European Theatre from June 1942 to October 1945. He was a 60 year member of the Masonic Lodge 723 A.F & A.M. of Omaha, member of the American Legion Post 106 in McLeansboro and Veterans of Foreign Wars 3851, Carmi.

Mr. Sanders served on Hamilton County School Board, Illinois Soil Conservation District for six years, and a 4-H leader for several years. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of McLeansboro, serving as both deacon and elder. He retired from Marathon Oil in 1980 after 39 years of service.

He loved the farm east of McLeansboro where he and Mom lived for 63 years, gardening, his border collies and his family. He will be greatly missed and long loved and remembered by his friends and family.

Harre Funeral Home in charge of arrangements with memorials requested for First Presbyterian Church in lieu of flowers.