William Martin “Marty” Schwartz, 49, of Mt. Vernon, died 7:55 a.m. Monday, April 22, 2013, at his home in Mt. Vernon. He was born Sunday, July 7, 1963, in Centralia, the son of Herbert George and Nancy Carolyn (Hicks) Schwartz. He married Marjorie Beth Cravens on May 21, 1983, in Mt. Vernon. Marty served in the United States Marine Corps from Oct. 1980 until retiring from the military as an E-7 Gunnery Sergeant after 21 years of service in July 2001. He was a deputy for the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department for 12 years. He was an active member of the Mt. Vernon Township High School Rams football program and coached football for the Jefferson County Sports Authority for three years. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police and the West Salem Trinity United Methodist Church in Mt. Vernon. He is survived by his wife, Marjorie Beth Schwartz of Mt. Vernon; son, Mikeyle Johnson of Mt. Vernon; two daughters, Samantha and Casey Schwartz of Mt. Vernon; father and stepmother, Herb and Sue Schwartz of Mt. Vernon; mother and stepfather, Carolyn and Wayne Mabry of Clarksville, Mo.; sister, Christi LaLumondier and husband Jerome of Mt. Vernon; brother, James Throgmorton of Austin, Texas; two stepbrothers, Jack and Travis Heinrich of Mt. Vernon; nieces and nephews, Amanda Winchell and husband Steven of Mt. Vernon, Ashlie Robinson and husband Justin of Mt. Vernon, Jordan McCoy and fiancee Blake Branlett of Carbondale, Randi Rae “Dog” McCoy of Mt. Vernon and Simon and Sydney LaLumondier of Mt. Vernon; special brother, Jody Atkins of Chicago; “special girls”, Molly and C.J. Of Mt. Vernon; and several great-nieces and great-nephews.He was preceded in death by one sister, Kelly Sue Schwartz; paternal grandparents, Martin and Madelon Schwartz; maternal grandparents, Jewel and Boyd Hicks; and several aunts and uncles. Funeral service will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at West Salem Trinity United Methodist Church in Mt. Vernon with the Rev. Brad Henson. Interment will be at St. Mary Cemetery in Mt. Vernon. Members of Mt. Vernon American Legion Post 141 will conduct full military honors at the cemetery. Evening visitation will be held from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Hughey Funeral Home in Mt. Vernon. A rosary service will be conducted at 8 p.m. at the funeral home. Morning visitation will be held from 9 a.m. until the time of service at 10 a.m. Thursday at West Salem Trinity United Methodist Church in Mt. Vernon. For those who wish, memorials may be given to the Jefferson County Sports Authority (JCSA) and will be accepted at the funeral home or mailed to Hughey Funeral Home, P. O. Box 721, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864.Arrangements have been entrusted to the care of Hughey Funeral Home where you may call 242-3348 or visit www.hugheyfuneralhome1969.com for further information and to send condolences.
Verla J. Richardson, 64, of McLeansboro, died at 8:15 p.m. Saturday, July 26 at Deaconess Hospital in Evansville, Ind.
Ethel Louise Hardig, 55, of Mt. Vernon, died at 4:48 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at her home.
- Burrell "Gene" Davis Burrell Eugene “Gene” Davis, 86, of Mt. Vernon, died at 6 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor in Mt. Vernon.Mr. Davis was a retired Illinois Bell Telephone employee for forty years, ending his career as the state safety direct
- Rodney Lipe Rodney James Lipe, 76, of Mt. Vernon, died 2:40 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor in Mt. Vernon. He was born Friday, April 29, 1938, in Jacksonville, the son of James A. and Ida Mae Lipe.Rodney worked as a laborer in area oi
- Marshall Cross, Jr. Marshall Marion Cross, Jr., 74, of Belle Rive, went to be with Jesus at 3:35 p.m. Thursday, July 24, 2014, at his home in Belle Rive.He was born Friday, Sept. 15, 1939, in Mt. Vernon, the son of Marshall Marion Cross, Sr. and Lena A. (Sneed) Cross. H
- Donna Dammrich Donna Marie Dammrich, of Potosi, Mo., departed this life on July 19, 2014, having reached the age of fifty three years, five months and three days.She was born on Feb. 16, 1961, in Honolulu, a daughter to Elmo Kebodeaux and the late Marlys Daley Kebo
- Karen Kirk Karen L. Kirk, 59, of Mt. Vernon, died 2:32 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Good Samaritan Regional Health Center in Mt. Vernon. She was born Sunday, Sept. 12, 1954, in Granite City, the daughter of Maxie Millan and Beulah Fern (Shell) Sanders. She
- W. Gregg Goodman W. Gregg Goodman, age 63, of Swansea, formerly of Mt. Vernon, passed away on Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Belleville.He was born July 11, 1951, to P. William (Bill) and Patricia (Bragg) Goodman in Carbondale.Gregg was the Co
- Harvey Lovin Harvey Lovin, 97, of Mt. Vernon, passed away at his home on Tuesday, July 22, 2014.He was born in Opdyke, on Dec. 10, 1916, the son of Henry C. and Emma Gifford Lovin.He lived in St. Louis and in Bluford before serving in the Army as a staff sergeant
- Pauline Bohlen Pauline G. Bohlen, 93, of Mt. Vernon, passed away on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at 2:30 a.m. in Mt. Vernon.Pauline was born May 20, 1921, in Burlington, Iowa. After graduating from Burlington High School, Pauline was a waitress and a telephone operato
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Verla Richardson