Elder Marcus Garvey Blakemore Sr., age 79, of Mt. Vernon, went to be with his Lord 9:34 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 20, 2013, at Memorial Hospital in Carbondale.Elder Blakemore was born Dec. 2, 1933, in Mounds City, the son of Allen Blakemore and Ruby N. (Patterson). He married Cassie L. (Kimbrough) July 15, 1970, in Chicago; she survives in Mt. Vernon.He also leaves to mourn his passing his children, Peggy Taylor of San Diego, Queen Avery Qahhaar of Huntsville, Ala., Ahmad Blakemore and wife Pamela of Huntsville, Ala., Eric Jacobs of Newark, N.J., Dorothy Jacobs of West Palm Beach, Fla., Arnold D. Blalock of Chicago, Marcus Allen Blakemore Jr. and wife Amy of DuQuoin, Cyah Blakemore-White and husband William White of Mt. Vernon, Clarisa Blakemore-Gammons of Herrin, Michael Landis Blakemore, Martin Luther Blakemore, and Canetta L. Blakemore all of Mt. Vernon; two brothers, Walter Richards of Klondike and Larry Figgures of Grand Rapids, Mich.; two sisters, Sarah Figgures and Laura N. Figgures both of Grand Rapids, Mich.; a host of grandchildren; great-grandchildren; nieces and nephews. Also he is survived by other special family and friends whom he held close to his heart.Elder Blakemore was preceded in death by his parents; four brothers, Andrew, Charles, Herschel and Henry; and two sisters, Lula Mae and Bertha.Elder Blakemore served the Lord in many capacities as pastor, assistant pastor, and Sunday school superintendent. He attended and graduated from the American Baptist Theological Seminary. He was an ordained elder with the Church of God in Christ. He was the founder of Lively Stone Temple Church of God in Christ in Friarspoint, Miss., First Church of God in Christ in Poplar Bluff, Mo., First Church of God in Christ in Marion, and he was also the founder of Eternal Peace Ministries in Mt. Vernon. He was State Secretary for the Southeast Missouri Church of God in Christ, Inc. He was a trustee for the Southern Illinois Jurisdiction of the Church of God in Christ. He also pastored churches in Grand Rapids, Mich., Murphysboro, and Harrisburg. Elder Blakemore served his country in the United States Navy and later in the United States Army. He was a 2007 inductee into the Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce Senior Saints Hall of Fame. He was a past member of the NAACP, Rainbow Push Coalition, Lions Club, and he was a Prince Hall Master Mason. He volunteered for many organizations including Poplar Bluff City Schools in Poplar Bluff, Mo., American Red Cross, H.O.P.E in Grand Rapids, Mich., Hope in Christ Ministries in Mt. Vernon, Mt. Vernon District 80 and Mt. Vernon Township High School in Mt. Vernon and many other organizations. He really enjoyed spreading the gospel, singing and praying for God’s people.Funeral services will be held Saturday, Nov. 2, at 11 a.m. at New Life Missionary Baptist Church in Mt. Vernon with Superintendent Larry Lee, senior pastor of Refuge Temple Church of God in Christ in Marion officiating. Administrative Assistant Leon Daniels, pastor of Unity Church of God in Christ in Chicago will conduct the eulogy. Burial will follow at Mt. Vernon Memorial Gardens. Military Honors will be conducted by the American Legion Post 141 of Mt. Vernon. Visitation will be held at New Life Missionary Baptist Church in Mt. Vernon on Saturday from 9 a.m. until service time. Cards and condolences may be sent to P.O. Box 2181, Mt. Vernon, IL 62864 and may be accepted at the church as well. For more information you may call Newell Funeral Home at 246-0100 or visit online at www.newellfuneralhome.com.
Verla J. Richardson, 64, of McLeansboro, died at 8:15 p.m. Saturday, July 26 at Deaconess Hospital in Evansville, Ind.
Ethel Louise Hardig, 55, of Mt. Vernon, died at 4:48 a.m. Saturday, July 26, 2014, at her home.
- Burrell "Gene" Davis Burrell Eugene “Gene” Davis, 86, of Mt. Vernon, died at 6 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor in Mt. Vernon.Mr. Davis was a retired Illinois Bell Telephone employee for forty years, ending his career as the state safety direct
- Rodney Lipe Rodney James Lipe, 76, of Mt. Vernon, died 2:40 a.m. Friday, July 25, 2014, at Mt. Vernon Countryside Manor in Mt. Vernon. He was born Friday, April 29, 1938, in Jacksonville, the son of James A. and Ida Mae Lipe.Rodney worked as a laborer in area oi
- Marshall Cross, Jr. Marshall Marion Cross, Jr., 74, of Belle Rive, went to be with Jesus at 3:35 p.m. Thursday, July 24, 2014, at his home in Belle Rive.He was born Friday, Sept. 15, 1939, in Mt. Vernon, the son of Marshall Marion Cross, Sr. and Lena A. (Sneed) Cross. H
- Donna Dammrich Donna Marie Dammrich, of Potosi, Mo., departed this life on July 19, 2014, having reached the age of fifty three years, five months and three days.She was born on Feb. 16, 1961, in Honolulu, a daughter to Elmo Kebodeaux and the late Marlys Daley Kebo
- Karen Kirk Karen L. Kirk, 59, of Mt. Vernon, died 2:32 p.m. Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at Good Samaritan Regional Health Center in Mt. Vernon. She was born Sunday, Sept. 12, 1954, in Granite City, the daughter of Maxie Millan and Beulah Fern (Shell) Sanders. She
- W. Gregg Goodman W. Gregg Goodman, age 63, of Swansea, formerly of Mt. Vernon, passed away on Tuesday, July 22, 2014, at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Belleville.He was born July 11, 1951, to P. William (Bill) and Patricia (Bragg) Goodman in Carbondale.Gregg was the Co
- Harvey Lovin Harvey Lovin, 97, of Mt. Vernon, passed away at his home on Tuesday, July 22, 2014.He was born in Opdyke, on Dec. 10, 1916, the son of Henry C. and Emma Gifford Lovin.He lived in St. Louis and in Bluford before serving in the Army as a staff sergeant
- Pauline Bohlen Pauline G. Bohlen, 93, of Mt. Vernon, passed away on Wednesday, July 23, 2014, at 2:30 a.m. in Mt. Vernon.Pauline was born May 20, 1921, in Burlington, Iowa. After graduating from Burlington High School, Pauline was a waitress and a telephone operato
- More Obituaries Headlines
- Verla Richardson