Mt. Vernon Register-News

Opinion

May 7, 2010

Our View: A drive that can save lives

MT. VERNON — On Saturday, May 15, there will be a bone marrow typing drive at the Times Square Mall from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The importance of this drive is a lesson learned from Hunter Kalahar, the 4 year-old boy diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia earlier this year. As doctors worked to help Hunter fight the disease, it became apparent the chemotherapy treatments were not pushing back the aggressive bone cancer, thus forcing Hunter and his family to seek a bone marrow match.

“Usually doctors will go to the family first and try to find a match in the family — brothers and sisters are the more likelihood,” explained Melissa Malcomb with Community Blood Services of Illinois. “But statistics show only 30 percent of patients find a match in the family. The other 70 percent have to find an unrelated donor.”

Those unrelated donors number some 7 million on the national registry, but unfortunately not everyone’s genetic markers are alike, making it more difficult for patients like Hunter to find a match.

And though Hunter has finally found a donor, consider the possibilities of helping out another human being — someone’s parent, grandparent or little boy or girl — by having similar genetic genes and making the commitment to save a life.

1
Text Only
Opinion
  • I signed what? When Dr. Sam said, "You've got the prostate of a 16-year-old," it was hard to keep from beaming. This must be how a woman feels when a complete stranger tells her she has a beautiful baby. Well, maybe not quite. Still, it was hard not to feel proud o

    April 19, 2014

  • Obamacare's winning numbers Obamacare's critics have had a bad week. On Thursday, President Obama announced that 8 million people have enrolled in new health insurance plans through the Affordable Care Act's marketplaces, and a significant portion of them are young Americans. Y

    April 19, 2014

  • The rise of big data: A double-edged sword Debates are raging about whether big data still holds the promise that was expected or whether it was just a big bust. The failure of the much-hyped Google Flu Trends to accurately predict peak flu levels since August 2011 has heightened the concerns

    April 19, 2014

  • Only love can re-make your heart Was Jeb Bush right to insert love into a political debate? Such was the gist of a question I was asked on talk radio in response to the former Florida governor's assertion that some immigrants come into the United States illegally as an "act of love.

    April 18, 2014

  • Stop big tobacco from promoting e-cigarettes The tobacco industry is sharply raising spending on advertisements and other marketing for electronic cigarettes to try to make smoking glamorous again and hook a new generation of Americans on nicotine. We shouldn't let them get away with it. If adu

    April 18, 2014

  • A mental health checkup The country's inadequate mental health system gets the most attention after instances of mass violence of the sort that the nation has seen repeatedly over the past few months. Not all who commit these sorts of atrocities are mentally ill, but many h

    April 18, 2014

  • Your new password: sur**nder Have you changed your passwords since the security flaw known as Heartbleed emerged? Have you made sure they're all long, alphanumeric and randomized? Did you use a unique one for every site -- every bank account, every e- mail address, every music-s

    April 17, 2014

  • Hillary leans on Bill, Obama Recently Hillary Clinton gave what appeared at first to be a rambling and unfocused answer when asked to name the proudest achievement of her four years as Secretary of State. The short version is, she doesn't have one. But Clinton's words make a lot

    April 17, 2014

  • If GOP lost culture war, liberals did, too The "culture wars" have been a feature of American politics for almost a century, but recently a number of commentators have declared their end. Conservatives have lost, swept aside by a wave of enthusiasm for marriage equality and sexualized mass cu

    April 17, 2014

  • Cable guys too slow with Internet upgrade Remember the good-old 1990s, when you could make a pot of coffee while waiting for the screeching dial-up modem to connect to the Internet at a leisurely 9.6 kilobits per second? Two decades later, the average American household's connection is 1,000

    April 16, 2014

Twitter Updates
Facebook
Stocks