MT. VERNON —
As of late, I, along with anyone who watches or listens to the news or reads a paper, has become aware of the possibility of our lawmakers in Springfield passing legislation to issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens.
This has to be the most absurd idea I have ever heard! Just like when John Jones first debated then Rep. Larry Hicks in McLeansboro High School gym many years ago, both were asked the questions as to how they would handle the illegal alien problem that was growing. Rep. Hicks gave a “political” answer to a minute smattering of applause, then the question was posed to Mr. Jones. Jones asked that the question be restated, which is was. Jones answered something to the effect simply: “didn’t you say they’re ILLEGAL aliens?” The entire gym erupted in applause of agreement!
We need more of this common sense approach in government, not a continual stream of political correctness. It is killing our country.
Do I mind that someone from another country strive to make a better life for themselves by coming to our country? Not at all, but let it be done within the legal manner established. If they truly desire it they will endure the sometimes long arduous process in place. If I, as a citizen of this country, am required to obey the law, then why not everyone else, especially those breaking the law by entering our country illegally.
Now if this is some type of ruse in order to identify those who are here illegally so they may be arrested and deported, well that’s another story. But it sets a dangerous precedence in that if they are not arrested/found/etc., and deported, they will still be here illegally, but now with a drivers license! Hellooo Homeland Security!
There is really no rational, reasoning or excuse that can be presented to justify this proposal. Why not use the tax dollars that would be earmarked for everything entailed in this undertaking and apply it to hiring more law enforcement personnel to combat the steady flow of illegals into this country and concentrate on deporting the ones that are found.
Here is a novel idea: Instead of shipping foreign aid that doesn’t get repaid to countries that are our avowed enemies, why not keep it here at home and rebuild our infrastructure and help companies stay at home in the USA and make us once again a country that produces something instead of being nothing but consumers! But that is food for thought for a future letter.
Kevin L. Jackson
MT. VERNON —
- Stop bullying Editor: Police say they send all reports to the State's Attorney and then, they decide who to go after. I found out one report that I had made was dismissed by the cops. I checked on it and pushed for the city police to do something. I'm still unsure
- Pope Francis is listening to what Catholics want The Pew Research Center poll released Thursday showing that American Catholics strongly favor allowing the use of birth control -- and allowing priests to marry and women to be ordained -- comes as no surprise. It has long been thus. Catholics also c
- To tell good Obamacare changes from bad, ask this question To hear Republicans tell it, the federal government's constant changes to Obamacare, including Wednesday's two-year reprieve for insurance plans that don't meet the law's tough new standards, rank somewhere between treason and Thanksgiving tofurkey o
- And the award goes to ... I've been watching the Academy Awards since Bob Hope was a baby. Back then, they didn't have a different host each year; it was always Bob Hope. Then Johnny Carson took over for a while. Now they audition someone new every few years, but it's such a
- Ryan's deceiving theory of poverty NEW YORK -- This week, the House Budget Committee, led by Republican ideas man Paul Ryan, published a 204-page report cataloging just about every conservative complaint about the federal government's anti-poverty efforts. The report's grand, familiar
- Dems now the guardians of status quo A lot of people keep waiting for the Democratic Party to jump into the deep end. Pew Research Center pollster Andrew Kohut produced the latest installment in this vein with a Washington Post essay, "Are the Democrats Getting Too Liberal?" I get it. R
- What the world needs now 'Have you told the women?" Father Michael's question disarmed Martha Reichert -- and changed her life. Reichert was in the tough first days of her continuing work with women who are abuse victims, prostitutes and addicts at Samaritan House, a homeles
- The budget comes up short It was just bad luck that President Obama unveiled his fiscal 2015 budget in the midst of the most dangerous geopolitical tensions Europe has faced since the end of the Cold War. The Obama administration began working on the document long before the
- Economy focus may help GOP Most Americans think the economy is still bad and that President Obama is doing a poor job handling it. With unemployment at 6.6 percent, and only that low because millions of frustrated, jobless workers have left the labor force entirely, issues tha
- Making retirement affordable again For an entirely predictable event, retirement is going to come as a shock to tens of millions of Americans -- a financial shock, that is. Many people in their 50s and 60s are about to find that the money they've set aside for retirement is too meager
- More Opinion Headlines