MT. VERNON —
As of late, I, along with anyone who watches or listens to the news or reads a paper, has become aware of the possibility of our lawmakers in Springfield passing legislation to issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens.
This has to be the most absurd idea I have ever heard! Just like when John Jones first debated then Rep. Larry Hicks in McLeansboro High School gym many years ago, both were asked the questions as to how they would handle the illegal alien problem that was growing. Rep. Hicks gave a “political” answer to a minute smattering of applause, then the question was posed to Mr. Jones. Jones asked that the question be restated, which is was. Jones answered something to the effect simply: “didn’t you say they’re ILLEGAL aliens?” The entire gym erupted in applause of agreement!
We need more of this common sense approach in government, not a continual stream of political correctness. It is killing our country.
Do I mind that someone from another country strive to make a better life for themselves by coming to our country? Not at all, but let it be done within the legal manner established. If they truly desire it they will endure the sometimes long arduous process in place. If I, as a citizen of this country, am required to obey the law, then why not everyone else, especially those breaking the law by entering our country illegally.
Now if this is some type of ruse in order to identify those who are here illegally so they may be arrested and deported, well that’s another story. But it sets a dangerous precedence in that if they are not arrested/found/etc., and deported, they will still be here illegally, but now with a drivers license! Hellooo Homeland Security!
There is really no rational, reasoning or excuse that can be presented to justify this proposal. Why not use the tax dollars that would be earmarked for everything entailed in this undertaking and apply it to hiring more law enforcement personnel to combat the steady flow of illegals into this country and concentrate on deporting the ones that are found.
Here is a novel idea: Instead of shipping foreign aid that doesn’t get repaid to countries that are our avowed enemies, why not keep it here at home and rebuild our infrastructure and help companies stay at home in the USA and make us once again a country that produces something instead of being nothing but consumers! But that is food for thought for a future letter.
Kevin L. Jackson
MT. VERNON —
- Your new password: sur**nder Have you changed your passwords since the security flaw known as Heartbleed emerged? Have you made sure they're all long, alphanumeric and randomized? Did you use a unique one for every site -- every bank account, every e- mail address, every music-s
- Hillary leans on Bill, Obama Recently Hillary Clinton gave what appeared at first to be a rambling and unfocused answer when asked to name the proudest achievement of her four years as Secretary of State. The short version is, she doesn't have one. But Clinton's words make a lot
- If GOP lost culture war, liberals did, too The "culture wars" have been a feature of American politics for almost a century, but recently a number of commentators have declared their end. Conservatives have lost, swept aside by a wave of enthusiasm for marriage equality and sexualized mass cu
- Cable guys too slow with Internet upgrade Remember the good-old 1990s, when you could make a pot of coffee while waiting for the screeching dial-up modem to connect to the Internet at a leisurely 9.6 kilobits per second? Two decades later, the average American household's connection is 1,000
- A May Day fable SPRINGFIELD -- Growing up during the Cold War, May Day always was a bit ominous. On the evening news, we'd watch tanks, missiles and soldiers march by the reviewing stands in Moscow, Beijing and Havana where stone-faced Communist leaders would look
- Display it proudly Editor: Drive past the demolition site of the old Good Samaritan Hospital on North 12th Street in Mt. Vernon and you will see the Stars and Stripes proudly flying from the flag pole. The hospital has been reduced to a pile of debris, but Old Glory st
- Got raw milk ... and salmonella? A refresher course in the work of Louis Pasteur should be mandatory for advocates of so-called raw milk. For anyone who missed fourth-grade science, Pasteur discovered that heating milk for a very brief time killed E. coli, salmonella, listeria, camp
- Heartburn Tens of millions of Americans have been affected by the theft of their personal information in the digital age. In a recent major data breach at Target stores, numbers and names were taken from about 40 million customers, and many millions more suffe
- Hitting home I received an article today with a suggestion to use it in a column. This one really hit home to me because it was about the outrageous price increases in diabetic testing devices and supplies. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes several years ago.
- The cost of care This was a breakthrough week for health-care transparency. For the first time, the Obama administration released doctor-specific information about Medicare payments, starting with 2012 data on $64 billion worth of billings. Journalists immediately se
- More Opinion Headlines