MT. VERNON —
I read that the “Safe Routes” to school are almost completed.
It’s time for all jokes to be put aside. This is NOT a safe route or even a sensible project.
These sidewalks are more like launching ramps in some places, they dip, they bank and they simply end in several places.
I see absolutely no way these so called sidewalks can be used by anyone on foot, bicycles and especially any person that is handicapped. The entire project was insane to start with and to build them the way they are shows a lack of engineering, design and construction. Our City Manager should be immediately terminated and David Wood of the City Council voted out for pushing this project.
I attended the City Council meeting to discuss this project and it was immediately made known to the people that this was cut and dried and nothing anyone could say would change anything. In fact, David Wood and the then City Engineer filibustered most of the meeting. And they wonder why people don’t attend these meetings.
I made this statement once before, but for the benefit of our City Council and other boards in this county, grant money IS TAX MONEY, regardless of what it’s called. No form of government has its own money, it all comes from us, the taxpayers.
It looks like since the City Council called it grant money, they didn’t care about the project, only spending the money. These sidewalks could have been done by the high school shop students and they would have done the job a lot better. The company that did this job should have either refused it or done it right if they knew how, either way there should be a huge refund to the taxpayers.
This is just another example of how this city is throwing our tax money around and then keep asking for more. I challenge everyone in Mt. Vernon to drive into the Fruit Bowl and look at these “Safe Routes” and then tell me, would you feel your kid was safe on these slabs of uneven concrete?
One questions I’d really like answered, if the State of Illinois is broke, how can they keep giving grant money for such idiotic projects?
MT. VERNON —
- Scout tradition Rick Hayes/Register-News Members of Cub Scout Pack 101 at West Salem Trinity United Methodist Church held a scout tradition this past weekend -- the annual Soap Box derby. Derby winners were crowned in several age divisions, followed by a group photo
- Commissioner relishes battle to revive besieged IRS WASHINGTON -- In today's bitterly polarized environment, the Internal Revenue Service has become even more of a whipping boy for politicians as it struggles with deep budget cuts and accusations of incompetence and, some say, illegal actions. That ma
- Things you should know This will be my first attempt at using Dragon Naturally Speaking to write. Dragon Naturally Speaking is a program that allows your voice commands to be converted to text. I found as I get older that my fingers are not quite as flexible as they once w
- E-cigarettes regulations overdue Could someone please send the Food and Drug Administration a copy of the latest study on teenagers and e-cigarettes? The agency obviously needs a push to come out with its overdue regulations. Drawn from two surveys of tens of thousands of American m
- Stop bullying Editor: Police say they send all reports to the State's Attorney and then, they decide who to go after. I found out one report that I had made was dismissed by the cops. I checked on it and pushed for the city police to do something. I'm still unsure
- Pope Francis is listening to what Catholics want The Pew Research Center poll released Thursday showing that American Catholics strongly favor allowing the use of birth control -- and allowing priests to marry and women to be ordained -- comes as no surprise. It has long been thus. Catholics also c
- To tell good Obamacare changes from bad, ask this question To hear Republicans tell it, the federal government's constant changes to Obamacare, including Wednesday's two-year reprieve for insurance plans that don't meet the law's tough new standards, rank somewhere between treason and Thanksgiving tofurkey o
- And the award goes to ... I've been watching the Academy Awards since Bob Hope was a baby. Back then, they didn't have a different host each year; it was always Bob Hope. Then Johnny Carson took over for a while. Now they audition someone new every few years, but it's such a
- Ryan's deceiving theory of poverty NEW YORK -- This week, the House Budget Committee, led by Republican ideas man Paul Ryan, published a 204-page report cataloging just about every conservative complaint about the federal government's anti-poverty efforts. The report's grand, familiar
- Dems now the guardians of status quo A lot of people keep waiting for the Democratic Party to jump into the deep end. Pew Research Center pollster Andrew Kohut produced the latest installment in this vein with a Washington Post essay, "Are the Democrats Getting Too Liberal?" I get it. R
- More Opinion Headlines