MT. VERNON —
I’m a lifelong resident of Mt. Vernon and have enjoyed our beautiful city park over the years, such as the wild caged animals, roller skating rink, band stand, Fourth of July fireworks, etc., until recently when I started walking my dog daily. However, an undesirable element, whom I’ll refer to as southtown youth, has surrounded the park rendering it an unsafe place for decent families and people to enjoy.
Since only this summer, I’ve been harassed or accosted by roving packs of southtown youth who feel emboldened by their numbers. They are in groups of five to 15. A pack mentality takes over and they do or say anything they want as they have no respect for anything or anyone. By themselves they are quite docile and cowardly. I have witnessed sexual harassment of an 8-year-old girl by a pack of 10 to 20, who was terrified and had never encountered people like this; a pack of five throwing snowballs at walkers; and space limitations prevent me from saying more. The young or old (in their eyes) need to stay away from the park as you are considered weak and prey to them. I’m old, but work out and can handle myself and will not be bullied by them or anyone else. I took after the five youth throwing snowballs and they scattered like cockroaches when you turn on the light.
I am a veteran and past commander of the Mt. Vernon American Legion and am very proud of the Veterans Memorial, but believe that in its current location the veterans whose names are on the bricks (myself included) are being dishonored. I know that my father and uncle whose names are on the memorial bricks would not want to be associated with this park and what is happening there. It needs to be in a place where those who live near still respect the rights of others and decent people can visit the memorial without having to look over their shoulder.
Finally, the park should be renamed Southtown Park as that’s what it has become. I’m sure the southtown leaders will call me a racist, but that would only be true if I were the one who sexually harassed, accosted and bullied southtown youth. I never started any altercation with them and believe in live and let live, unless you step on my rights.
MT. VERNON —
- I signed what? When Dr. Sam said, "You've got the prostate of a 16-year-old," it was hard to keep from beaming. This must be how a woman feels when a complete stranger tells her she has a beautiful baby. Well, maybe not quite. Still, it was hard not to feel proud o
- Obamacare's winning numbers Obamacare's critics have had a bad week. On Thursday, President Obama announced that 8 million people have enrolled in new health insurance plans through the Affordable Care Act's marketplaces, and a significant portion of them are young Americans. Y
- The rise of big data: A double-edged sword Debates are raging about whether big data still holds the promise that was expected or whether it was just a big bust. The failure of the much-hyped Google Flu Trends to accurately predict peak flu levels since August 2011 has heightened the concerns
- Only love can re-make your heart Was Jeb Bush right to insert love into a political debate? Such was the gist of a question I was asked on talk radio in response to the former Florida governor's assertion that some immigrants come into the United States illegally as an "act of love.
- Stop big tobacco from promoting e-cigarettes The tobacco industry is sharply raising spending on advertisements and other marketing for electronic cigarettes to try to make smoking glamorous again and hook a new generation of Americans on nicotine. We shouldn't let them get away with it. If adu
- A mental health checkup The country's inadequate mental health system gets the most attention after instances of mass violence of the sort that the nation has seen repeatedly over the past few months. Not all who commit these sorts of atrocities are mentally ill, but many h
- Your new password: sur**nder Have you changed your passwords since the security flaw known as Heartbleed emerged? Have you made sure they're all long, alphanumeric and randomized? Did you use a unique one for every site -- every bank account, every e- mail address, every music-s
- Hillary leans on Bill, Obama Recently Hillary Clinton gave what appeared at first to be a rambling and unfocused answer when asked to name the proudest achievement of her four years as Secretary of State. The short version is, she doesn't have one. But Clinton's words make a lot
- If GOP lost culture war, liberals did, too The "culture wars" have been a feature of American politics for almost a century, but recently a number of commentators have declared their end. Conservatives have lost, swept aside by a wave of enthusiasm for marriage equality and sexualized mass cu
- Cable guys too slow with Internet upgrade Remember the good-old 1990s, when you could make a pot of coffee while waiting for the screeching dial-up modem to connect to the Internet at a leisurely 9.6 kilobits per second? Two decades later, the average American household's connection is 1,000
- More Opinion Headlines