- State News
Ill. governor presses for disaster aid overhaul
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn lobbied in Congress' backyard Monday for a legislative overhaul of the federal government's formula for doling out disaster assistance, questioning why his disaster-plagued state was rebuffed after a recent series of deadly tornadoes.Continued ...
GOP hopefuls: Prisons crowded, but fixes elusive
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The four Republican candidates for governor are in agreement when it comes to Illinois prisons: There are too many inmates, not enough cells and quick action is needed to address what they say is a public safety threat.Continued ...
Rauner can't shake questions about child's school
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — As he campaigns to be Illinois' next governor, billionaire businessman Bruce Rauner of Winnetka cannot shake questions about his daughter's admission to an elite Chicago public school where he later made a hefty donation — a sensitive issue in a state with a history of political clout and scandal.Continued ...
Illinois Senate Republicans outline budget demands
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Illinois Senate Republicans gave Democrats a list of conditions Wednesday that must be met before they'll sign off on a budget, an early signal of the tense negotiations ahead as lawmakers scramble to fill an anticipated $3 billion gap in state revenues.Continued ...
GOP governor candidates debate in Springfield
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Illinois' four Republican gubernatorial candidates said Tuesday that they'll be willing to work with unions if elected but differed on how to approach the relationship during a downstate debate that largely focused on pension reform, taxes and just briefly on the personal issues that have dogged some of the candidates.Continued ...
Former SIU professor takes helm as president
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — The Southern Illinois University board of trustees named former Illinois state superintendent of education as the school's president on Monday.Continued ...
- Dillard snags teachers union endorsement
- Bill makes police tipping off criminals a crime
- Ill. lawmakers want to tweak concealed carry law
- Ill. high school grads scoring higher on AP exams
- Suit accuses Ill. gov hopeful of sexual harassment
- Appeals court upholds Ill. ex-sheriff's life term
- Insane Clown Posse festival leaves Ill. for Mo.
- Guns, medical marijuana collide in Illinois rules
- GOP Ill. gov. candidates debate taxes, spending
- Rutherford claims may be hurdle in governor's race
- Rutherford: Gov. rival behind allegations
- After crash, call for closer oversight of truckers
- Illinois lawmakers extend online betting law
- Ill. labor unions sue over plan to cut pensions
- Ill. governor presses for disaster aid overhaul