- State News
Quinn proposes making income tax hike permanent
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Gov. Pat Quinn said making Illinois' temporary income tax increase permanent should prevent "extreme and radical" state budget cuts, a politically difficult trade-off revealed Wednesday that's likely to be a major issue during his tough re-election bid.Continued ...
Ill. senator unveils proposed income tax rates
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — An Illinois senator announce a push Tuesday for a major overhaul of the state's income tax structure, calling for a move to a graduated system that would require more from the wealthy.Continued ...
Quinn budget speech to face election year scrutiny
CHICAGO (AP) — Gov. Pat Quinn will deliver a budget address this week that could be the most crucial of his career, as he grapples with a critical decision about raising the tax burden in Illinois at the start of one of the most competitive political campaigns nationwide.Continued ...
Illinois lawmakers face off over 2015 budget
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — The fight over Illinois' next budget ramped up Friday, as the heads of several state agencies said they'd be forced to lay off staff, close facilities and slash services if spending is cut as projected, and Republicans accused Democrats of putting on a "dog and pony show" to justify another tax increase.Continued ...
Some longtime Democrats throwing support to Rauner
CHICAGO (AP) — Several well-known Democratic supporters, including longtime allies of President Barack Obama, said Thursday that they're backing Republican venture capitalist Bruce Rauner for Illinois governor, signaling that the campaign will focus on swing voters crucial to winning in the heavily Democratic state.Continued ...
Ill. county's voters reject anti-fracking measure
ST. LOUIS (AP) — Voters in a struggling southern Illinois county have rejected a ballot referendum meant to pressure the county's governing board to restrict a debated oil drilling practice, leaving open the question of whether the measure failed because of confusion or the prevailing need for jobs.Continued ...
- Man pleads guilty in stabbing death of niece
- Governor candidates gear up for Illinois primary
- Illinois county to vote over 'fracking' prospects
- Quinn keeps low profile ahead of Illinois primary
- GOP governor hopefuls differ on income tax hike
- Primary for shot at Durbin poses dilemma for GOP
- Clerk's spouse earned $146K from troubled program
- Illinois commended for local renewable energy buys
- Illinois universities warn of perils if budget cut
- Gun owners, activists march in Springfield
- Illinois concealed-carry permits reach applicants
- Watchdog group has fixes for Illinois budget
- State police mail first concealed carry permits
- GOP candidates ready for next debate in Chicago
- Quinn proposes making income tax hike permanent