- State News
Illinois treasurer race heats up over accusations
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Illinois Republican candidate for Treasurer Tom Cross' campaign accused his Democratic opponent Tuesday of financial mismanagement and political patronage, stirring controversy in the race for a typically overlooked statewide office.Continued ...
Reagan aide Jim Brady's death ruled homicide
WASHINGTON (AP) — This week's death of former White House press secretary James Brady, who survived a gunshot wound to the head in a 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, has been ruled a homicide, District of Columbia police said Friday.Continued ...
Report: State's consumer spending rebounded fast
CHAMPAIGN (AP) — Illinois consumers spent more in 2010, just a year after the worst of the Great Recession, than they had in the years before the economic downturn, according to new data released Thursday by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis. And the growth of consumer spending in the state has outpaced the country since that 2009 low.Continued ...
Quinn administration refuses to explain hiring fix
SPRINGFIELD (AP) — When a good-government campaigner sued Gov. Pat Quinn in April over political hiring at the Illinois Department of Transportation, the administration responded that it had already taken action by reviewing and reclassifying jobs, which wouldn't be subject to political considerations in the future.Continued ...
Illinois opens insurance rate records to public
CHICAGO (AP) — State officials announced Tuesday that Illinois is giving the public online access for the first time to forms filed by insurers when they set the rates they'll charge, a move that consumer advocates called a step in the right direction.Continued ...
Lawmaker pleads to misdemeanor; faced 17 felonies
CHICAGO (AP) — An Illinois lawmaker who faced nearly 20 felony bank-fraud charges that could have landed him in prison for decades pleaded guilty Monday to a single misdemeanor tax charge for shortchanging the Internal Revenue Service of $3,782.Continued ...
- Illinois patients continue nursing home care waits
- Demoted worker shoots CEO, kills self in Chicago
- Governor candidates assess overseas tax breaks
- Illinois to ask voters about taxing millionaires
- Illinois fair managers fined for free beer tickets
- Feds' immigrant figures may not give full story
- GOP Rauner's campaign ad used made-up headlines
- State lawmaker: Concealed carry law 'complicated'
- Rockford man charged in second killing
- Rauner keeps up push for Illinois term limits
- Illinois 3rd party candidates have no easy time
- Rauner proposed lower Illinois income tax rate
- Illinois Gov. Quinn facing ongoing investigation
- Illinois prisons overtime costs top $60M again
- Illinois treasurer race heats up over accusations