MT. VERNON — Following several months of construction, the new Drury Hotel in Mt. Vernon is open for business.
The new hotel is located at 145 N. 44th Street, near the Illinois Highway 15/Interstate 57 interchange.
The hotel opened on July 1, according to a hotel spokeswoman.
The hotel offers 180 guest rooms along with amenities that include free food and beverage morning and evening, free wireless internet and long distance and an indoor/outdoor pool with a whirlpool.
Guest rooms also include flat panel televisions, microwave ovens and a refrigerator.
With over 5,000 square feet of meeting space that can accommodate a wide variety of groups based on room setup, the Drury offers several options for meetings and events.
The hotel features two banquet rooms and a smaller meeting room that can accommodate up to about 40 people.
City officials helped Drury with its plans for expansion in Mt. Vernon, an approximate $20 million project.
The city will reimburse Drury up to $5.03 million using a combination of East Side Tax Increment Finance District funds realized in the Drury project area and from tax reimbursements.
Reimbursements only affect the Drury project area, in TIF reimbursements and in rebates on the 85 percent of the incremental sales tax revenues above the current amount received on the property. The other 15 percent of taxes will continue to be put in the city general fund. Sales tax funds which will be tapped for reimbursement are the hotel/motel tax, the bed tax, the 1 percent sales tax, the 1 percent home rule tax and the 1 percent food and beverage tax earned on the Drury project area, according to information presented in 2012 when the agreement was approved by the city council.
With the opening of the Drury, the city now features 1,118 guest rooms on 13 properties.
Drury officials were unavailable for comment on this story, with local management referring all questions to the corporate offices.